[Clipart] Using Clip Art

momo momo at lumenstudio.net
Mon Oct 3 07:22:26 PDT 2005

Hello,

As a long time Corel user, I'd like to warn you about one small problem
Corel Draw (11 and 12) has with some SVG files (as I noticed, it happens
mostly with Inkscape generated SVGs.)

Corel has its own SVG rendering engine (a quite good one I may say) but
sometimes it "understands" some SVGs in a little bit different way.

When you import an SVG file, (for example by drag 'n dropping it into Draw),
the graphic appears generally grouped, even if it is made of one single
object. Ungroupping is usually the only operation that has to be done after
import (the corel works with the imported graphics normally).

But bigger problems can appear when the imported graphics are made of 2 or
more objects. After importing, the graphics are groupped. Don't ungroup them
right the way or Draw will freeze!!! It is because the SVG renderer can
interpret some of the groupped objects as locked. So you should first unlock
them (quite easy to do with the help of the OBJECT MANAGER DOCKER). After
all the locked objects are unlocked, you can ungroup the graphics and use
them as needed.

link: a browser SVG viewer plugin is available for download here:
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel/Downloads/Details&id=1042152917172.
It is usefull to use to see how will Corel Draw render some openclipart
SVGs.

Hope that helps!

Mo.