[Clipart] Re: Helping with OCAL

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Sat Oct 29 18:20:10 PDT 2005

On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 04:09:25PM -0600, Michael Moore wrote:
> > Where we need the most help is in organizing the clip art.  This is an
> > extremely important job, and doesn't require any programming skills.
> > You need to know how to view SVG files and how to run command line
> > programs.
>
> I might be interested in helping. What does the job entail, and what
> kind of time commitment is there?

Basically, download the tarball of the last release and go through the
files, moving them into the right directories, creating new directories
for new subcategories, deleting obvious duplicates, etc.

Timewise I think it's a one-weekend sort of project.  Last month I spent
2-3 afternoons on it (mostly deleting trademark issues and organizing
stuff in unsorted/) and made a huge amount of progress.

> I'm quite comfortable with SVG files and command line programs. I have
> a Linux computer and an OSX computer available.

Cool, I think you'll be able to knock it out pretty easily.

You'll probably want to either have inkscape or nautilus installed
(probably both!)  The inkview program that comes with inkscape is useful
for browsing the images, but I found using nautilus with its thumbnail
svg view to be best.  You might be able to find other svg browsing
programs.

Next, download a copy of the 0.18 tarball; I think it should be
available from the website now.  Unpack it and just go ahead and
rearrange stuff.

Jonadab posted his thoughts on subcategories that could be added; you
should be able to find this through the mailing list archives.  If not
let me know and I can forward it to you.

Finally, once you feel you've reached a good stopping point, tar it up
again and send it in.  Note that the library is too big to send through
email; instead post it to a web or ftp site.  If you don't have some
place to post it, we can help you find a place.

After that, we can use your reorganized package as the start for the
subsequent release.  :-)