[Clipart] clipartbrowser 0.41

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Mon Oct 31 07:36:11 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 17:35 -0400, Greg Steffensen wrote:
> Ok, the clipartbrowser cvs module is now synched up again with the
> latest tarballs, and the cannonical download location for releases is
> now
>
> http://www.python.org/pypi/clipartbrowser
>
> (it used to be on Berlios).  If you download a release (they work
> better than ever :), install using "python setup.py install" (assuming
> you have the dependencies met).  The "easy_install" method mentioned
> earlier works too.

Cool...I still think you should do releases and use Inkscape's sf.net
space just for the sake of affiliation and encouraging other developers
who already have access to work with you.

Providing easy access to others is the key to getting more feedback and
others hacking on your projects...and in order to take advantage of
this, you should try to work in the community with the practices and
traditions that the majority of developers know.

For example, I can work on your app when you use standard
infrastructures, as I know standard Makefiles and packaging, but now am
discouraged from working on clipartbrowser because I don't have time to
learn "Yet Another Language."

How is the project going btw? I've been swamped in with new gigs --
teaching at sfai.edu and working at creativecommons.org

Jon

> [...]
>                         cleanups, and a new
>                         > installation procedure (yes, yet another).
>                         >
>                         > Installation is now 3 steps, and hopefully
>                         easier than ever:
>                         >
>                         > 1) Satisfy the dependencies of Python 2.4
>                         and PyGTK 2.6.
>                         >
>                         > 2) Download and run the following script,
>                         which installs the python
>                         > setuptools:
>                         >
>                         >
>                         http://peak.telecommunity.com/dist/ez_setup.py
>                         >
>                         > 3) Run "easy_install clipartbrowser"
>                         >
>                         > As you can see, I've switched the
>                         installation system from Makefiles
>                         > to the python setuptools.  The setuptools
>                         are still under development
>                         > (they're apparently going to be included in
>                         python 2.5), and I'm still
>                         > very much learning how to use them, so the
>                         packaging isn't as polished
>                         > as it needs to be, but this makes
>                         installation a breeze.  Eventually,
>                         > it should allow arbitrary python
>                         dependencies to be intelligently
>                         > installed as well using the same process.
>                         >
>                         > I'm still working on getting this integrated
>                         back into the Inkscape
>                         > effects menu, that's next on the list.  As
>                         always, feedback greatly
>                         > appreciated.
>                         >
>                         Greg,
>
>                         I thought we were going to do the next release
>                         from Inkscape CVS? What
>                         you have done is a non-standard release of the
>                         project now that we
>                         consolidated the code into Inkscape.
>
>                         Also, you have now used a non-standard
>                         approach to packaging which then
>                         again breaks what users and developers are use
>                         to.
>
>                         The major thing though is that we were going
>                         to do a solid release which
>                         means you need to involve the people who would
>                         contribute to this in the
>                         release to help smooth out the bugs.
>
>                         Instead, now you have released from another
>                         location thus confusing
>                         users and developers more. The problem with
>                         this is that it is not
>                         pro-community.
>
>                         Anyhow, I'm curious what you think and also
>                         want to get these things on
>                         track with the community.
>
>                         It is so great that you are rocking these
>                         changes and I'm so proud of
>                         what you are doing so I don't want to dismay
>                         you, but really I think the
>                         next release has to be really on track with
>                         the community and we should
>                         coordinate it, push it out through the
>                         sourceforge system we have in
>                         place, and push the press release globally.
>
>                         Without these procedures, honestly, it is not
>                         very likely that others
>                         will help on development nor use your work.
>
>                         So, lets talk some more and sort these things

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org