[Clipart] parameterized clipart

Holger Will holger at treebuilder.de
Thu Sep 1 02:36:18 PDT 2005

Jon Phillips schrieb:

>On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 01:28 -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
>

>>On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 09:23:50AM +0100, Stephen Silver wrote:
>>

>>>What I would like to see eventually is a way to contribute parameterized
>>>clipart to OCAL.  So, for example, the user could be given the chance to
>>>choose a new time for the clock image, and the server would generate the
>>>image with the chosen time for the user to download.
>>>

>>I love this idea.  I've been thinking somewhat along similar lines from
>>the context of woodworking designs where the user could vary one or two
>>parameters (such as the length for a table, or the height/width of a
>>bookcase) and have the dimensions recalculate.
>>

>Yeah, agree, that is one of the great things about using SVG. Maybe this
>should be added as a feature request to our bug tracker.
>
>Jon

yes this is indeed one of the best features of SVG.  i've personally
experimented a lot along those lines,
and i've allready written a simple clock that could be parametrized.
i would suggest using xslt for that purpose, here is how i think the
whole system could work:

-have a html page with some form elements.( theis could be created
dynamicly, based on the object templates)
-create an xml serialisation of the object you want to create with the
values from the input fields as parameters.
  a clock could look something like this:

  <clock hour="12" minute="32" second="17" r="20" />

-send this xml to the server, perform the xslTransformation, and send
the result to the client.
 we could then ship object template files and the xslt stylesheets with
the packages, so
 a user could create svgs from that templates without connecting to the
server.

the question is if there is a gui needed on the client side, to do the
transformation,
or if its simple enough , to edit the object files, and perform the
transformation on the commandline.
i think the latter should do fine...

if this is the way to go, we might need to ship an xslt processor.

these are just some ideas, what do you think ?

here are some of my experiments:
http://www.treebuilder.de/svg/extentSVG/documentation.html

cheers
Holger