[Clipart] Navigation in the OCAL

Greg Steffensen greg.steffensen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 20:20:46 PDT 2005

Hey Petr- I've actually been working on a similar project for OCAL for the
past few months, and vividly recall working through the issues you're
describing. You can check out the code at

http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=4098

and search this mailing list and the Inkscape developers list (at
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_id=36054 ) for "clipart
browser" to get a sense of where the project is. There's also a screenshot
and some other notes at http://summerofclipart.blogspot.com .

Ironically, my code was initially designed as an Inkscape extension,
analagous to what you're doing, but was made into a standalone program in
the hope that it would be usable by other projects as well, very
specifically including Scribus. Check out the code; its also in python, and
a lot of the features you're trying to add have already been implemented,
and its been through several releases and a bit of testing already. There's
some bad news of course; it uses GTK, instead of QT, but that's not an
insurmountable problem. If you'd like to get integrated into Scribus'
extension system (since Scribus 1.3.0 doesn't appear to support drag-drop or
copy-paste of SVG images from external programs), I'd be glad to help, and
even if not, a lot of the code could be reused, such as the metadata parser.

Greg