[Clipart] Navigation in the OCAL

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Sat Sep 3 15:47:28 PDT 2005

Petr Vaněk <petr at scribus.info> writes:

> And there is one big *BUT*. Current solution of the online OCAL
> browsing is based on the HTML parsing.

Ugh.

> This is very slow and bug vulnerable (webdesigner can change layout
> and we are screwed ;)) etc.

Indeed.  And the layout probably will change, if not soon then
eventually.

> I suggest to create auto-updated index file situated e.g.
> http://openclipart.org/clipart/navigation.xml

There is one, here:
http://openclipart.org/clipart/index.xml

This file indexes the most important metadata (authors, keywords,
titles, and title words) and gives the relative path to each file that
has them.

We have thought about also including a manifest.xml that would not
index the metadata but just list every included file, but at the
time of this writing we have not done that.

If we did, which would be better for you to use, the index, or the
manifest?  Why?

> with current directory structure of the OCAL server. I've created
> some example file for my old clipart snapshot on my hdd. You can see
> it (250kB):  http://www.yarpen.cz/ocal/navigation.xml

This is similar to what a manifest would look like, if we included
one.  It wouldn't be exactly like that, but along those lines.  It
probably would also list the .png thumbnails and the various
meta-files (LICENSE and so forth) somehow.  We had not worked out
a format for it in detail yet, mainly because we just hadn't gotten
around to it.

--
Open Clip Art Library:  Drawing Together
http://www.openclipart.org/