[Clipart] the HASH bug again

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Mon Sep 5 16:03:48 PDT 2005

"Stephen Silver" <ocalocal at btinternet.com> writes:

> As far as I can see, this is what happened:
>
> The user first uploaded workstation_hash_0x89c79_01.svg.  This is based on
> workstation_01.svg in the collection, which is credited to HASH(0x89c79d4).
> So the hash in this case is simply the result of the new author not
> changing the author field.

Yes, that matches what I had gathered...

> Then the same author (as is evidenced by the 'sodipodi:docbase'
> attribute) uploaded firewall2_hash_0x89c79d4_01.svg.

Ah, I had missed this connection.

> The author name from the previous file, which had been stored in a
> cookie, was automatically inserted into the author field, and the
> author left it as it was.

Okay.  If this analysis is correct, then the tools and the upload
script are not introducing per se new instances of the HASH bug, but
old instances that have not been fully repaired yet (which we already
knew still existed in the collection) are in some cases being copied
into new submissions.  In other words, I might after all get to keep
what sanity I have :-)

--
Open Clip Art Library:  Drawing Together
http://www.openclipart.org/