[Clipart] Re: Klipart and Open Clip Art Library

Greg Steffensen greg.steffensen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 15:11:50 PDT 2005

> the last time i talked to someone on the OpenClipart side of things, it
> was
> determined that library wasn't quite read to have a browser written to it.
> is
> this clipart browser in Inkscape a generic browser or one tuned for
> OpenClipart's releases? (i'm on the open clipart mailing list but have
> been
> reading it in "skim" mode for the last month or so due to time constraints
> on
> my side)
>
> a generic clipart browser should be easy enough to do, though one that
> would
> also make use of the OpenClipArt metadata would be far more interesting
> and
> useful.

Well, its not really tied to OCAL at all (even though I expect that in
practice that's where 99.5% of clipart viewed in it will come from), but it
uses metadata heavily. Its modularized, so its reasonably simple to get clip
art from somewhere other than OCAL. The code is available in Inkscape cvs
(module clipartbrowser) or from

http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=4098

It isn't quite integrated into Inkscape yet, but that should be coming very
soon.

Greg