[Clipart] Inclusion of copyrighted logo in your library

Paul Reinheimer paul.clipart at preinheimer.com
Mon Sep 19 13:40:35 PDT 2005

+1

It adds confusion to the term "Open" Clipart Library, and needlessly
places the library at risk of litigation.

paul

From: Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org>
To: clipart at lists.freedesktop.org
Date: Mon, Sep-19-2005 3:47 PM
Subject: Re: [Clipart] Inclusion of copyrighted logo in your library

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 12:29 -0700, Open Clip Art Library Feedback Form
wrote:
> Name: Ton Roosendaal
> E-mail: ton at blender.org
>

> Hi Open Clipart,
>
> Although I really welcome initiatives like this, there's also the
> danger people will use the library in ways that might harm others...
> recently a Blender user found out one of your clipart users is
> abusing the Blender logo.
>
> http://www.nettron.co.za/branded_isp.html
>
> They claim it's public domain, and licensed by you... now I can't
> browse your database at the moment, but the clipart looks like the
> icon as in use as icon in many Linux Desktops right now. No problem
> with that, for as long it points to the Blender software. But this is
> a bit too much freedom...
>
> Blender is a EU registered trademark, and the logo is copyrighted.
> The Blender Foundation reserves the right to give permission for
> usage. Would it be possible you find this icon, and remove it, or add
> a copyright note to it?
>
> Best regards,

I am formally stating that we should not allow logos or trademarks into
our collection. Do you all agree that we should make this policy?

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org