[Clipart] Inclusion of copyrighted logo in your library

Jarno jarno at huittinen.com
Wed Sep 21 09:56:58 PDT 2005

> This is the problem of public domain, Larry Ewing or anyone is never
> going to make public domain their logos to prevent abuses like the
> blender one. But if I need a Inkscape or Blender vector icon, I want
> to be able of making it only one time. (GPL for logos?)

This is still same thing ... copyright holder must do it. And GPL lisences
doesn't do better ... there is still away to abuse the artwork.

> You can only release an image into the public domain if you are the
> copyright holder or if your design is not the same as the original
> one. If my blender icon is green and yellow and is not the same as the
> original, because I made it from start and wanted to make it slightly
> different, then it could be. How much different is "different"?.

Only color change isn't solve to problem ... example coca-cola has
trademarked the wave that is in the logo. So you can't even make fake logo
of coca-cola that wouldn't abuse their trademark.

> Well, you are right, it was only a question of time to happen, but I
> have not the time to remove my own now.
>
> Sorry...
> Jose Hevia

I'm not sure are you the person that abused the blender logo but it's not
even good advertise to use others logo. Peoples aren't so stupid. But
lawyers can handel that ... trademark is trademark even if logo is in ocal
but the person that put it into ocal can also be in charge.

-Jarno-