[Clipart] Duplicated items / keywords question

Nathan Eady eady at galion.lib.oh.us
Fri Sep 30 09:34:00 PDT 2005

Nicu Buculei wrote:

>> The browse/navigate tool also must have the .png files, however, and I
>> don't think there's any way around that.
>
> There may be a way: modern browsers can display SVG images.

Yeah?  Name three web browsers that support SVG images in the
latest stable release, without installing third-party plugins.

In the future, this might become a relevant option, but currently
it is not.

> we can have SVG *and* PNG on website and SVG *or* PNG
> on download.

Currently the website just uses the full release package as it stands.

>> I suspect that most users are more interested in the PNG files than
>> the SVG files.  I wish we had download statistics for the packages.
>
> But our mission is to promote the vector format...
>
> However, providing separate packages for SVG and PNG is a win-win
> situation:
> - win for us, as we reduce the load on the server and have better stats
> on what users want;

Currently, AFAIK, we don't have stats on what packages are downloaded
how often.  (I kind of wish we did, as it would help answer these
sorts of questions...)

The other problem is that downloading the separate packages leaves
you with two separate directory trees; merging them, so that the
thumbnails are side-by-side with the vector images, is decidedly
non-trivial unless you're comfortable with the command line.