[Clipart] importing openclipart into powerpoint clip organiser

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Sat Apr 8 07:02:04 PDT 2006

Open Clip Art Library Feedback Form <noreply at openclipart.org> writes:

> Hi. Can you tell me how to get all the extracted openclipart into
> the cliporganiser for powerpoint without manually adding each image?

The last time I used PowerPoint, it was running on Windows 3.1, so I'm
sure it has changed since then, but at the time, it didn't have a
clip-art organizer or anything like that; when adding an image, you
browsed the filesystem for a graphic file.

> Also, I have bought the Open Office CD - does it include openclipart?

I doubt it.

We have attempted to interest the OpenOffice.org people in the Open
Clip Art Library, but there are technical and political issues on
their end that make it difficult for OpenOffice to support the OCAL.
The technical issues revolve around the complexities of the SVG and
OpenDocument standards, which apparently don't do certain things in
quite the same way, so that a complicated conversion would be
required.  The political issues are even more complicated and have to
do with licensing, especially as it pertains to the Java language, and
disagreements between Sun Microsystems and the Free Software
Foundation.

The long and short of it is that OpenOffice.org does not have any
support for SVG images at this time, except via a third-party plugin
that can be obtained separately and installed by the user.

As a result of this, the usual way to use Open Clip Art Library images
in OpenOffice is to first open the image you want in an SVG editor,
such as Inkscape, and export it to a .png image at a high enough
resolution for what you are doing (usually much higher than the small
thumbnails we include in the release) and then import this into your
document via Insert->Picture->From File (or, in older versions of
OpenOffice, Insert->Graphics->From FIle).

--
Open Clip Art Library:  Drawing Together
http://www.openclipart.org/