[Clipart] image removal

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 04:06:03 PST 2006

Well it completely depends on what we're infringing; clipart can only
infringe on someone's trademarks or copyrights.

With trademarks we're talking things like badges, city coats of arms,
business names that sort of thing.

With copyrights we're going to be talking derivative works mostly,
where an svg image has been made from some kind of original raster or
printed image and these are going to be taken down directly.

Both of these things are covered by fair use protection in many
countries and I don't think we are infringing trademarks by having
badges etc in the repositories. reason being is that we are not using
it as a trade name or goods mark. it's fair use to include and the
city of Vancouver are outside of their rights to request it's removal.

Satirical use would be an exception to copyright, so if someone made a
picture based on a recent film where the actors where caricatured we
would be ok to have those images too despite being a derivative work
of a film.