[Clipart] google patents

John Olsen johnny_automatic at mac.com
Mon Dec 18 06:28:21 PST 2006

> From: Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org>
> Subject: [Clipart] patent search
> To: Open Clip Art Library list <clipart at lists.freedesktop.org>
>
> Heya, if you all didn't see this, http://www.google.com/patents

Thanks for the reminder.  I just was told about this by a friend

> Did we ever decide if we could use patent search images as material
> needing conversion to vectors?

I've been mining U.S.  patents for a few weeks now.  I think we came
to the conclusion that the illustrations supporting a patent are PD.
Haven't seen any argument against this.  In fact the Google patent
serach FAQ begins with:

Q. Where does this patent data come from?
A. All patents available through Google Patent Search come from the
United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). Patents issued in
the United States are public domain government information, and
images of the entire database of U.S. patents are readily available
online via the USPTO website.

John Olsen