[Clipart] Guidelines for uploading.

ryan ryan at lennox.com.au
Tue Dec 19 14:22:21 PST 2006

I know that we try to shy away from harsh, "you must do it like this" type
guidelines at the open clip art library, but after about a fortnight of
myself and molumen on librarian "cleanup" duty, I feel it is more than
necessary to document some basic clipart "best practises" to ensure that the
clipart that is uploaded by someone is as usable as possible.

Also once these guidelines are in place, to translate these in to as many
languages as possible, as the non-english speaking percentage of uploaders
increase.

The main types of cleanups that are happening at the moment are that I think
may be neccecary to implement as some guidelines are:

	*The document boundary - my estimate is that about 40% of clipart
that 	is uploaded could do with some clipping of the document boundary.
(is 	a fix to this possible to automatically so in a script or
something?)

	*Tags - many uploads are tagged with one or no usable tags

	*Text - the uploads with text in them need to be converted to paths
for usability (also, not sure about mozilla, but the SVG text support 	is
pretty ordinary in opera)

	*Non SVG files

	*Logos - (especially ones with no accurate description of what it is
- 	it may be a fictional logo, but we don't know that)

At the moment, we are tagging these files with the system tag "cleanup" and
writing a review for that image, saying what needs to be cleaned up. I am
going to try to write up a "Librarians Handbook" in the wiki that outlines
some of this procedure, so keep an eye out for it...

Also, we need librarians to help sift through some of these logos and
cliparts, especially people that can speak languages other than English(my
only language :P)

So hit the list if you want to help, even if it is just helping us
communicate with people that cant speak English for us :P because babelfish
can only help a little bit...

Sorry for the super-long email...

thanks,

Ryan Lerch