[Clipart] SVG support for getID3

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Tue Feb 14 00:44:07 PST 2006

Hi James,

I'm a developer of a 2D graphics program called Inkscape, that produces
files in the 'SVG' format.  One of our efforts is the creation of an
online graphics repository called http://www.openclipart.org.  For this
project we are experimenting with using ccHost for managing user
uploads.  This program uses your getID3 program for gathering info about
the uploaded files.

I would like to add SVG support to getid3 in order for ccHost to be able
to handle the SVG clipart files.  SVG is a w3c standard vector graphics
format supported by dozens of open source and proprietary programs, so I
think this would make a solid addition for getid3.

SVG is an XML format.  It is also scalable, which means the files do not
have absolute height/width settings, so it's not a perfect analogy to
the png/jpg modules.

I'm pretty familiar with the SVG format; in addition to Inkscape I also
wrote the Perl SVG::Metadata module for extracting/inserting metadata
into SVG files.  However, I'm a little bit lost about what I would need
to do to add support for this format to getID3.  I was wondering if you
could provide some advice/tips on what would I should do to add this
support?

Thanks,