[Clipart] Re: openclipart.org hacked? what happened???

Chad Smith chad78 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 10:03:51 PST 2006

It seems to me that this Fernando person was the one who did it.  I mean,
re-read his email.  Sounds like a threat to me.

" I´d be saddened to see it disappear..."

And now it's gone because one person is downloading it all the time.

But since we know one person is doing it - can't we just block that IP and
move on?  I don't understand why the site is still down.

On 2/28/06, Nathan Eady <eady at galion.lib.oh.us> wrote:

> Jon Phillips wrote:
>
> > again (kees) and he found that there is a one person who is basically
> > trying to download our packages every 5-10 seconds which is equal to a
> > DDoS attack.
>
> You know, you would _think_ that a mature package like Apache would
> have options to limit the effective percentage of your available
> bandwidth that can be consumed from any given Class-A subnet, or
> somesuch along those lines.  Come to think of it, isn't that pretty
> much exactly what mod_throttle does?  Maybe we should look into that.
>
> Are we really so high-profile that someone wants to expend bandwidth
> doing a DOS attack on us?  I would be _very_ curious to know what
> subnet that was coming from, and whether it is associated with any
> entity that might have a plausible motive for this, e.g., some
> commerical clip-art site.  (If so, a full write-up of the incident
> could probably get us a good and proper slashdotting, whenever we
> tell the story, i.e., at a time of our choosing.  Such an opportunity
> should not be wasted.)

- Chad Smith
http://www.gimpshop.net/
http://www.whatisopenoffice.org/