[Clipart] Sea of Subjectivity

adrian stovall drakaan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 11:58:22 PST 2006

On 1/27/06, Nicu Buculei <nicu at apsro.com> wrote:
> singlecell wrote:
> > B Kreps wrote:

> >  >

> >> Quickly I can think of two solutions to this problem:
> >>
> >> 1. Moderators: Basically a human censor, the task is objective VARIETY.
> >> 2. (My preference) Public index limiting with private indexes for user
> >
> > I've been put off by the same issue - there's just too much in one go.
> >
> > A previous email on the subject of tarot cards referenced a set of
> > playing cards
> > (http://openclipart.org/cgi-bin/navigate/recreation/games/cards/ornamental),
> > which is good. But if more playing cards were uploaded into the same
> > section, the cards would soon be mixed and tedious to search. Once
> > you've seen one card, you get an idea of what the rest are like, and
> > grouping them into sets would seem logical.
>
> Those are my cards and there are more sets:
> http://openclipart.org/cgi-bin/navigate/recreation/games/cards/bordered
> http://openclipart.org/cgi-bin/navigate/recreation/games/cards/simple
> http://openclipart.org/cgi-bin/navigate/recreation/games/cards/white
> http://openclipart.org/cgi-bin/navigate/recreation/games/cards/cardbacks
>
> They have different keywords and are grouped by keywords, resulting in
> different sets/sections
>
> > There are other examples such as colour/size variations of the same
> > image, etc, which could be considered as a set.
>
> How about the case when the user want to download just one single card,
> not the entire set?

(sorry Nicu, missed replying to the list)

 tend to concur with the idea of identifying files as belonging to a
specified collection, if we're not talking about suggesting that sets
be uploaded in a single file, but...

One upside of svg is the small file-size.  I'd prefer to see
collections of items uploaded in sigle "collection" files ("Bubba's
Christmas-themed Tarot Cards", "Bubba's Art-Deco Tarot Cards", etc),
rather than individually ("Bubba's Art-Deco Queen of Wands").  If
they're meant to be a set, then they should be together, and if
they're meant to be together, putting all of the clips in a single
file makes sure they stay that way.

What's the disadvantage to downloading the whole set vs. a single
card?  Is that flexibility important enough to force added complexity
in indexing, storing, and locating clipart in the main collection?

--
'Murphy was an optimist'
    - O'Toole's commentary on murpy's law

'Extremists suck'