[Clipart] dead or alive

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Tue Jul 4 11:05:08 PDT 2006

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 03:26:46PM +0100, Theresa Knott wrote:
> On 7/4/06, Nicu Buculei (OCAL) <nicu at apsro.com> wrote:
> >Open Clip Art Library Feedback Form wrote:
> .
> >
> >Usually in the Open Source world is believed there are a lot of
> >programmers and not enough artists. I think we proved this wrong: we
> >have a lot of artists contributing, but not enough programmers.
>
> It's a real shame, this project is truly worthwhile, and could easily
> grow to huge proportions. Is there anyway to put out a general
> distress call. Do programmers actually know that this project is in
> desperate need of their help?

Speaking for Rejon and myself, we've gotten so tied up with other
projects (e.g. Inkscape, Crucible, Creative Commons) that it's very
unlikely we'll be running into much more freetime for OCAL.  We both
feel kind of bad because we'd put in so much time to get the project
some momentum, and it's just our busy schedules that's holding things
up.

What would you guys think of the idea of merging OCAL back into
Inkscape?  Inkscape's community includes people with sufficient
technical skill and interest that could help with OCAL's needs.  In
turn, the clipart library would become something distributed along with
Inkscape itself.

Of course, we'd want to keep the openclipart.org domain and stuff, but
there may be some areas where it's worthwhile to cut out overhead.

Originally, OCAL itself was a spin-off of Inkscape, with the hope that
being independent of inkscape would increase involvement from projects
like OpenOffice, Sodipodi, and Skencil.  However, as we see, this hasn't
really worked out.  Perhaps re-merging the project would revitalize
things?

Let me know what you think; if it sounds viable, I'll propose it to
Inkscape.