[Clipart] Proposal: Merging Open Clipart Library into Inkscape

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Sun Jul 9 13:52:06 PDT 2006

On Sun, 9 Jul 2006, Aaron Spike wrote:

> Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 15:35:57 -0500
> From: Aaron Spike <aaron at ekips.org>
> To: Alan Horkan <horkana at maths.tcd.ie>
> Cc: clipart at lists.freedesktop.org
> Subject: Re: [Clipart] Proposal:  Merging Open Clipart Library into
>     Inkscape
>
> Alan Horkan wrote:
> > However I do hope OpenClipart.org will continue to use "Plain SVG" and
> > keep any non-standard application specific markup (be it Inkscape,
> > Sodipodi, Adobe or any other) to a minimum.  Promoting the SVG standard is
> > an important part of OpenClipart.org and I expect that will not change.
>
> Application specific markup that is complies with XML standards does not
> in any way violate the SVG standard.

I didn't say it violated any standard.

What I am saying it is better to continue to keep the markup clean and
neutral and portable as possible.  Do you disagree?

OpenClipart includes SVG as well as the various standards that make up
XMP.  If in future Inkscape decided some part of the OpenDocument standard
or some other properly standardised and documented markup not tied to any
one application was worth reusing then that would probably be worth
including in OpenClipart too.  So to reiterate I hope getting closer to
Inkscape will not mean any moving away from promoting reusable open
standards or risking accidentally pushing other groups away, I was fairly
sure that wasn't anyones intention but I did want to mention it just in
case.

--
Alan