[Clipart] [Open Clip Art Library] Upload Flagged

Alan Horkan horkana at maths.tcd.ie
Fri Oct 20 12:34:48 PDT 2006

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, Jon Phillips wrote:

> > "I think we should be strict about accepting SVGs that are only vector
> > graphics without any embedded bitmaps."

There might be a few exceptional cases where using a small bitmap for
textures would produce a really good effect, but in those cases a small
inline embedded bitmap should hopefully be enough.

> > Ultimately the clip-art library however should be strictly vector art.
>
> Agree...maybe we should amend out goal/mission statement to reflect
> vector-only...just to make it more clear:
>
> Drawing Together.
>

> This project aims to create an archive of user contributed clip art that
> can be freely used. All content of the project is public domain
> vector-based clip art that is the W3C public standard, Scalable Vector
> Graphics (SVG).

If you haven't already changed the text I would appreciate if you could
rephrase that last bit to be something more like:
"All the content of the project is a public domain collection of vector
graphics clip art created using the W3C standard for Scalable Vector
Graphics (SVG)."

Something about the wording "vector-based" doesn't sit quite right.  The
emphasis on the vectors is good, but I prefer to see the term "vector
graphics" even at the risk of being repetative because non-native speakers
so often tranlslate it as "vectorial graphics".

--
Alan