[Clipart] Re: [Inkscape-devel] google summer of code summit follow-up

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Fri Oct 20 16:51:07 PDT 2006

On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 04:07:46PM -0700, Jon Phillips wrote:
> Hey all, here are my overdue notes about the google summer of code
> mentors summit meeting from last SAT, OCT 21, 9-5 PM. They picked up the
> tab for the event, hotel, etc:

Thanks!  Quite interesting.

> After that I had lunch with several developers including Behdad
> Esfahdood, who leads the pango project and works for RedHat. He wants to
> get pango hooked into Crucible, so Bryce, you might want to follow up
> with him about this.

Thanks.  Maybe once the new crucible release is out the door I can put
some time into helping get him set up.  It'd be great to get pango
included in the testing we've done.

> I also hung out with Bart Massey who is professor
> at portland state and hosts freedesktop.org servers. I talked with him
> about some Open Clip Art Library business and other issues that we have
> in common. I am following up with him because he wants to and said it is
> really no problem to get us our own server that we can put Open Clip Art
> Library on.

That's a good idea, but does OCAL have the funds to get a machine?

> The best thing to come out of the event is the quick chat with Massey
> about OCAL, etc. My day also ended with getting to chat with Martin
> Sevior (abiword) about working closer between Inkscape, abiword,
> gnumeric, etc, to provide a better user experience and in the face of
> the closed community policies of OO.o.

Excellent, this is something I've thought to be a good direction to go
myself.  Have you spoken with anyone from gnumeric?

> He and several other people brought up how unhappy they were with the
> printing functionality on Inkscape. I forgot about how this is such a
> need. Mostly, ppl. are stoked about Inkscape, but I underlined that we
> are working on this with Cairo, etc...who is working on this anyway?
> Seems like a pretty big area we need help on...

Yes, it's been a huge area of complaint.  It would be great to see
someone new take this area over and really improve it.

> oh, I also met Mike Hearn (autopackage) who said he is going through
> Google's 3-month training program as a new employee. Insane!

Cool, congrats Mike!