[Clipart] tag you're it (fwd)

AJ Ashton lists at ajashton.net
Thu Sep 7 15:38:31 PDT 2006

Michael Moore wrote:
 > Example:
 > After the game, I view my results and see that "circle" was one of the
 > tags for the dartboard. I could flag it as wrong since it's not an
 > obvious tag for a dartboard. If circle were flagged as wrong a certain
 > number of times, it would be dropped from the tags list.

Personally I think such generic tags can be useful when doing advanced
searching in order to narrow down results.

Example: you are working on a logo for a store called "Sports World" and
you want to replace the circular parts of the letters 'p' 'o' and 'd'
with sports/games-related objects that are circular. You could search
for something like "sport game +circle", and your results would include
baseballs, golf balls, dart boards, and the like, but not a rugby ball
or a golf club or a tennis racket.

Of course that's a simple example, and you might just search for the
individual objects (or browse the 'Sports' category), but the results
could return useful and inspirational images that you would never have
thought of. It also saved you some time by not having to sift through
hundreds of useless, non-circular images (or not having to do four or
more separate searches). Perhaps there is a better way of doing this,
but I know many stock photo web sites include basic tags such as 'blue'
and 'copy space' in order to allow for more specific results.

Maybe have a way to allow for overly-generic or overly-specific tags,
but not include them in the game (or make them bonus points in the game?).

AJ Ashton