[Clipart] remove from list

Bryce Harrington bryce at bryceharrington.org
Thu Sep 7 23:06:52 PDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 09:36:20PM +0100, Alan Horkan wrote:

> Has the time come to to include a disclaimer at the bottom of every
> message explaining users need to mail to the word unsubscribe to
> clipart-request at lists.freedesktop.org if they want to leave the list? And
> then another message to explain clipart-request is a different list from
> clipart?
>
> How is it that users can so easily sign up for a list but have so much
> difficulty following the very similar instructions to unsubscribe?  It
> happens over and over again on many mailing lists.
>
> Could messages containing the word unsubscribe automatically be bounced
> and provided with the correct instuctions or request users to confirm they
> really want to unsubscribe?  Sure it would block the occasional message
> like this one and messages asking to be removed rather than unsubscribed
> will still get through but I figured I should ask or this will just keep
> happening.  Should I really be asking the mailman developers?

Your email has been bounced.

;-)

Actually, I expect for this project, this is going to be just the way
things go.  It's probably worth the cost though; better to have the
users involved and have to tolerate some ignorance of standard project
behavior, than to not have that involvement.

If it really bugs you, you could set up procmail to filter out emails
with that word.  ;-)

Actually for me it's been the continual questions about what public
domain means, that get irritating.  But again, that's the price to pay
for being able to tap into the audience we've been able to do.

Bryce