[Clipart] Massive amounts of linkspam on the wiki

Theresa Knott theresaknott at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 11:54:23 PDT 2006

On 9/9/06, Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-09-07 at 23:11 -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:

Hmm I'm not sure. They'll just adapt by not putting display:none, and
making the text white, or use some other trick. Wikipedia deals with
spam mostly by simply removing it. But there again wikipedia is a very
active wiki. Someone will remove spam within seconds. We also have a
blacklist. Any url on that blacklist will cause the page to not save
the  edit. That works for some of them. For smaller wikis having a
nofollow tag on all external links ( which I think is the default for
mediawiki software) means that spamming for SEO is a waste of  time.
I think the bad guys have finally cottoned on to this.  I haven't seen
any spam for a while.

Theresa