[Clipart] Regarding the possibility of hosting a contest

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Tue Apr 3 11:51:23 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 17:44 +0200, Tobias Jakobs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I 100% agree with Nicu and think we should make a logo contest.
> Ivo can you tell us more about Spread Open Media? I think it would be
> good, if the SVG format can be part of it. Will it be more a PR project, or
> will you even create websites where you can share content?

Yes absolutely! We can host the assets on our site and run the whole
thing. We have a contest engine that handles the details. Let's work out
the details on the wiki page:

http://openclipart.org/wiki/Contest

We should add this contest right after the Create one and flesh out the
details. Tobias, would you like to manage this contest? It would be
great to spread out the love and admin on it :) ccHost makes running
contests easy!

more comments below!

> Regards,
> Tobias
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am contacting the Open Clip Art Library in behalf of the Xiph.Org
> > Foundation, creators of media formats like FLAC and Theora.

Great!

> > We are launching a project known as Spread Open Media, where we will
> > create a community platform to help promote our media formats
> > throughout the Internet and beyond in an attempt to compete with
> > proprietary formats like MP3 and WMV.  The project will work
> > similarily to the popular Spread Firefox community.

This is great! I was about to start work on a project called Spread Free
Culture that Bryce Harrington and I hashed out:
http://wiki.freeculture.org/Spread_Free_Culture

Sounds like your project would fit this great! Could the ideas there be
consolidated with this Spread Open Media site?

Also, I would like to add that Creative Commons sponsors development on
the open source engine, ccHost, which powers www.ccmixter.org,
openclipart.org, openfontlibrary.org and others. The engine handles all
the fun of a CMS, plus has community features, a contest engine, remix
api, download api, rating, and is file-type agnostic...so would be
brilliant fit for Spread Open Media!!! Oh, also it supports CC licensing
and the CC public domain declaration. It would be great and I can help
however possible for you all to consider using ccHost for Spread Open
Media.

Also, I will have an intern this summer whose goal is to work on a
project like this, so this hopefully could help the consolidation of our
spread projects and hopeful use of ccHost on this site :)

> > However, we are in serious need of a designer to come up with banners,
> > icons, fliers, and the like.  As a non-profit organization we planned
> > to ask for donations to hire the services of a graphics designer, but
> > then it dawned to us that if we will depend on the community, we might
> > as well just ask them for their help instead of their money.

Cool, yes, we can do through OCAL and also hopefully my intern at CC
(who starts in JUNE).

> > That is why we are contacting the Open Clip Art Library.  We would
> > like to know if it is possible to run a contest where your visitors
> > may contribute with work to get the SOM  project going.  We intend to
> > have the contributions available under the Public Domain, hence, we
> > think it may benefit both of our efforts.

This is awesome! Yes, I think best to plan out specific contest for
branding of the project through OCAL. We can require submissions to be
in the form of a logo and look and feel for the project. (colors,
treatment, etc).

The winner gets credit for the design and lots of +++ for reputation!

If that goes well, then we could also do a similar for the site layout.

Thoughts?

Jon