[Clipart] roadmap planning please help

Ryan ryan at lennox.com.au
Mon Apr 30 15:35:37 PDT 2007

Hi all!

<snip>
> - Could the PNG package be generated from the SVG files?  Make it have
> dependencies of librsvg-bin or Inkscape and then you could download the
> SVG package and generate all the PNGs.  This would make for a smaller
> download.  Personally, I don't mind the space on my hard drive as much
> as the bandwidth.

I agree, Having the PNG's is important, especially for Windows users, as an
SVG does not come up with a thumbnail preview in windows explorer like
Ubuntu (not sure if this happens in other distros...)

Would it be feasible to have some sort of "clipart" library in inkscape, so
you could dump the collection in, so it shows you a heap of thumbs and has
basic searching capabilities, and be able to drag and drop artwork into your
current document. Is there this sort of capability in other programs
(illustrastor and Corel Draw?)

> - Break the packages out by rating.  So have package for every major
> number group (4-5, 3-4, etc.) and then make the main package a
> meta-package that downloads all of them.  It would make it so that
> people could get a smaller grab if they wanted.

I think breaking the packages down by major groups may be the go as well...
similar to the groups from the old collection...

> On the project perspective I wonder if it isn't at the point that people
> like Adobe and Corel could be talked to about possibly including much of
> the artwork on their installation DVDs.  Seriously.  It's free for them,
> perhaps there can be some sort of branding, I'd love to see the OCAL
> logo on the outside of the Illustrator box ;)

That would be super cool!

> 		--Ted

Anyhoo, that's my two cents as well...

Cheers,