[Clipart] roadmap planning please help

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Mon Apr 30 20:47:23 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 08:52 -0700, Ted Gould wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 23:14 -0700, Jon Phillips wrote:
> > Please dream and add tasks to the roadmap. We shouldn't overload
> > ourselves too much, but if there are some simple tasks that seem doable
> > by yourself and/or you'd like to see done, please add them and lightly
> > put your name at the end of the task that you want to do...no pressure!
> > Remember, this is supposed to be fun! :)
>
> I don't think I'm involved enough to add things to the Wiki, but I
> wanted to throw out a couple ideas.

Sure, add up your ideas to the future milestones section...that will
help us to be able to move them all around :)

> I downloaded the Debian packages, both the SVG and the PNG ones, and
> they're huge.  In many ways that's a huge complement to a project that I
> never thought would get this big, but I'm worried that it makes the
> whole thing somewhat unusable for many users (dial-up especially).  So,
> here are a couple of ideas on solving that:

True...

> - Could the PNG package be generated from the SVG files?  Make it have
> dependencies of librsvg-bin or Inkscape and then you could download the
> SVG package and generate all the PNGs.  This would make for a smaller
> download.  Personally, I don't mind the space on my hard drive as much
> as the bandwidth.

That is good...gentoo has use flags to allow people to not include png
files and others...

> - Break the packages out by rating.  So have package for every major
> number group (4-5, 3-4, etc.) and then make the main package a
> meta-package that downloads all of them.  It would make it so that
> people could get a smaller grab if they wanted.

I like that.

> A slight clean up thing is that I don't think the author names should be
> in the file names.  I think it is just confusing.  I don't want to loose
> that information, because I think the authors are important, but I think
> many users will get confused by it.  So, what I'm proposing is having a
> "AUTHORS" file in every directory with their names in it.  It's not as
> good, but I think it does make it fairly easy to find out where credit
> is due.

Right, that is an interesting approach. I think we need to get the
embedding back into the system and this AUTHORS approach is good, but
honestly, anyway of providing attribution and reward I'm in favor of...

> On the project perspective I wonder if it isn't at the point that people
> like Adobe and Corel could be talked to about possibly including much of
> the artwork on their installation DVDs.  Seriously.  It's free for them,
> perhaps there can be some sort of branding, I'd love to see the OCAL
> logo on the outside of the Illustrator box ;)  Xara may be a good
> target, well, depending on where they're going.

Yes, the good news is that I'm working with good people at adobe now who
can help me connect this up (XMP product manager, cs pm, etc). And, I'll
just say, good things are in the pipeline for our projects :)

> On a similar note, I wonder if anyone has the development tools for
> building Illustrator plugins.  Do something similar to the GSoC project
> Inkscape has this summer for saving and opening from a ccHost instance.
> I don't know if Adobe would donate the dev. tools (I imagine there is
> some sort of API license or something) for a project like that.  Maybe
> they would have an summer intern they could donate also?

Part of Creative Suite is an app called Bridge, which is a desktop-based
content management system that can sort through files. It would be
trivial to write a plug-in for this system, as it supports just standard
html+javascript...

> Okay, that's my brain dump.  All ideas are public domain, modify and use
> as you wish ;)
>
> 		--Ted

Cool...please bulletize them and put them up on the wiki for throwing
around! :) thx ted!