[Clipart] 3d mesh/object library

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Aug 9 11:47:32 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-08-05 at 23:09 +0200, Tobias Jakobs wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 02.08.2007, 08:59 -0700 schrieb Jon Phillips:
> > On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 13:25 +0100, Ale Fernandez wrote:
> > >
> > > setting up a
> > > version of openclipart that deals with CC licensed (or similar) 3d
> > > objects.
> > >
> > Great Ale! Similar to how openfontlibrary.org started, its a matter of
> > someone, like yourself, pushing on getting this started and contributing
> > time and energy.
> >
> > If this is what you want to do, we can help...I would suggest its good
> > to get involved on openclipart.org first and get your feet wet :)
> >
> Nice idea, I think this is really missing in the list of open libraries. I think as a small todo I would suggest:
> - Talk with the Blender Team
> - Register a Domain
> - learn how ccHost works
> - extend ccHost for your Filetyp
>
> It is important that you can build a team with at least some(one) PHP hacker(s) in there and not only artists.
>
> Regards,
> Tobias

I've been thinking more and more about this and am starting to come to
the conclusion that we should unify these projects into one open content
storage place for free content and make openclipart.org and
openfontlibrary.org portal pages to this overall site...

The more times we have these different sites, the more we have to
maintain differen sites, lists, etc...

What would you all think about this merger of sorts? We would keep the
domains and have content portals, but overall, would use one ccHost
installation...this way, we could just roll out different content types
as there are maintainers for them.

Another thing I've been batting around is if we should allow more
license types. I'm thinking we should allow for PD, CC BY, CC BY-SA

Should we not allow for more contributors if we can get them? I've been
thinking about this much while at wikimania...

I think we need to consolidate our resources and efforts now and grow
this...

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org