[Clipart] unifying Projects - was: 3d mesh/object library

Nicu Buculei (OCAL) nicu at apsro.com
Tue Aug 14 22:48:05 PDT 2007

Tobias Jakobs wrote:
  > I have 3 points we should think about:
>
> 1. Do we really need more contributors at openclipart.org? (Tat my be
> different for openfontlibrary.org)

Definitely, we need a lot more contributors at OCAL:
- we don't have yet thumbnails generation;
- we don't have a clean way to import the old images;
- ccHost does not interact in any way with the metadata (read or write);
- we have no way to batch-upload images (tarballs).
And just think at the huge effort needed to sort the images (over 7000)
after we manage to import the old archive.

> 2. One of our main target group are open source projects, and they can't
> use CC BY or CC BY-SA images in GPL or LGPL projects.

I see a lot of people confused by this and I am confused too: is or is
not allowed to use CC BY or CC BY-SA in a GPL project? Some argue one
way and some the other and I can understand to certain degree both
points of view. I would *really* like to see an authoritative answer.
With that being said, I think PD serve the best OCAL's mission and CC BY
or CC BY-SA are better suited for more complex graphics, which are out
of our goal.

my cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
my clipart collection: http://clipart.nicubunu.ro/