[Clipart] Re: [Inkscape-devel] Animation mocksups

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Tue Mar 6 01:33:22 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 19:14 +1000, Andy Fitzsimon wrote:
> > Whoa, that would be a curious thing to run a competition for...mockups
> > of future inkscape features...We could provide some graphical widgets in
> > SVG and challenge ppl. to make mockups of what Inkscape could look like,
> > new features, etc, to push developers and designers...
> >
> > What would the incentive be and/or reward for a winner?
> >
> I dunno mate,
>
> Personally competitions just dont work. For me at least.
>
> All contributions are useful.  especially ugly ones because the person
> hasnt the got the abilty to gloss things up but is willing to put in
> their time to communicate a point.
>
> John bayers fedora concept submission was a great example of this.  It
> had a message and needed developing.'

Ok, maybe mass amateurization is not good for interface design...still,
just trying to think of a way to get more ppl. involved in this level of
development.

> I think it would be great to hold a drive or fortnight/week whatever.
> where all submissions get put on their own wikipage for the user to
> rationalise.

Ok, still, seems like the calls for interface designs don't take off
much, so just trying to offer a solution.

> It sounds sensitive to say,  but competitions can be intimidating and
> we want as much as possible.

Yes, I understand that, but might be nice to test out some of these
concepts down the line with the infrastructure we have here...would
anyone be interested in this? I guess in the end this type of
competition is low on the totem pole...

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org