[Clipart] getid3 svgz support

Roan Horning roan at horning.us
Tue Oct 30 18:54:22 PDT 2007

Frederik Elwert wrote:

> What are the general plans for thumbnails, though? I thought about it a
> bit in the last couple of days, so I'd like to share my ideas and ask
> for your comments.

I've been thinking about thumbnails for OCAL recently myself.

Given the current state of support for svg, and in particular svgz files
within browsers, I think we need to have some mechanism for generating
PNG thumbnails. Whether we generate and keep them, or use some sort of
caching depends on our system resources, and what other uses we may have
for the thumbnails.

For me an ideal answer would offer up an svg thumbnail first, and if svg
wasn't supported, then have the PNG displayed.

I've tried getting this to work with the html object tag, but
unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to get the svg file to resize to
the width and height I had assigned the object. The image is cropped to
that size instead. The other issue is that svgz is rendered by fewer
browsers than svg. None of the the various browsers of the Mozilla
family that I have tried will render an svgz file, so the server would
have to decompress and send the raw svg file instead.

--Roan