[Clipart] what is clipart?

Frederik Elwert frederik.elwert at web.de
Wed Sep 19 03:14:48 PDT 2007

Am Montag, den 17.09.2007, 11:29 -0700 schrieb Jon Phillips:
> This is  great idea Frederik...maybe you can recommend some style tags
> to use...and lead the pack...there could be season tags, collections,
> etc...too...good simple and easy to do :)

I think it would be a bit odd for me to define styles that artists
should stick to. The best way IMO would be, if artists that already do
stick to a somewhat coherent style for several pieces would take a
minute and define this style, so others can work with it.

But the first step would be to set up a place for styles and some
guidelines for styling. Maybe a wiki page would be a good start? For
styling in general, several components could be part of such a page:

      * Name of the style
      * a tag name with a direct link
      * an example for the style with direct link
      * the style guidelines

I would agree that coloring_book and lineart already do provide
something related to styles. But maybe even in this case, some
explication about what falls under this tags would be nice.

The Clipart of the week shows great pieces of artwork that might fit
well as references - if their authors or other artists would be willing
to contribute further artwork with this style.

I'll propose two suggestions that could make a start for a style page.
These are of course preliminary, and I'd kindly ask the artists to
improve them. If some better and simpler style names come to your mind,
please share them... :-)

Photo-realistic devices
=======================

tag: photo_realistic_devices
reference example: http://openclipart.org/media/files/Darth_Gimp/3726
guidelines: Photo-realistic representations of devices that imply a
three-dimensional look:
      * No artificial strokes or borders
      * realistic lighting and shadowing (thus, not overly glossy)
      * Use of gradients and blur where appropriate
      * Only show the device itself, no scenery around it.

black-bordered cartoon
======================

tag: cartoon_black_border
reference example: http://openclipart.org/media/files/yeKcim/3363
guidelines: flat look with an over-emphasized outline
      * only flat surfaces, no gradients or filter effects
      * thin black strokes for individual surfaces of appr. 1px
      * think black outline for the whole drawing of appr. 6px

Again, these are only suggestions to show what I have in mind. If you
agree, I'd prepare a wiki page for this. But then, I think the main
contributions could come from the artists themselves. Maybe one could
make an announcement on the main page of OCAL, once all is in place?

Cheers,
Frederik