[Clipart] clipart Digest, Vol 42, Issue 20

Greg Bulmash oneminuteinspirations at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 08:48:31 PDT 2007

What about social tagging similar to the system Google has?

I know this would be a big programming project if it's set up with
people having to simultaneously tag images.

But if you set it up for asynchronous operation (i.e. people just work
individually and a periodic batch process runs a comparison operation
to pull out good keywords), the programming gets a lot simpler.

Step 1: Select an image based on a set of criteria (fewest tags,
longest time since last tag added, etc.)

Step 2: Present image to user along with a text box and a 1 minute
javascript timer.  They put in keywords for the image, one per line,
in the text box.

Step 3: Javascript timer reaches zero and submits form.  Form
basically stores userID, timestamp, image ID, and tags/labels in a
database.

Step 4: Periodic batch runs count occurrence of submitted keywords, if
a particular item has a keyword submitted for it by X different
people, that gets added to its official keywords.

To encourage participation, do a point scheme...
 1 point per submitted keyword
 3 points per accepted keyword

Weekly leaderboards acknowledge users who had the most keywords
submitted, and the most accepted that week and all time.

- Greg