[Clipart] SOM Banners Contest Result

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Thu Sep 20 14:01:03 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 21:25 +0100, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:
> And so it ends.
>
> I will not lie and say the contest was a success: it wasn't.  But I
> would like to thank Jon Phillips and the OCAL for once again hosting a
> contest for SOM, and I would like to thank the people who
> participated.

Yes, thanks...for another contest, should iron out any technical
problems before the launch of the contest...

> Personally, after the contest we had months ago to create a logo for
> SOM, I had high expectations.  If not better submissions, I expected a
> similar level of quality.  I suppose I either failed to promote the
> event properly, or these days young graphic designers have no desire
> to promote themselves by actually creating public work for everyone to
> see how good/bad they are.

I think a combination of both...in the future just need to make sure
everything is working prior to launch of a competition...

> Regardless, let's go to the final results.
>
> All entries to the contest may be found at [1].  Not at [2], which was
> supposed to be official page to see all entries (it's a 404), I guess
> due to a bug in the software, or the database, or the settings, or
> Goddess knows what.  At [1].

Well, we should never ever launch a contest before the technical side is
sorted out...I'll underline that...we shouldn't hack it, or create an
alternate way...probably better to not launch a competition than to
launch a broken one...

> First place goes to Tomosaur for his [3] entry and mcol for his/her [4] entry.
>
> Thank you both for participating.  I have contacted you through the
> OCAL mailing system to get details on who you are, so that I may
> credit you appropriately.  If you did not receive such message,
> contact me.
>
> Finally, I have taken down the upload form, the contest sidebar menu,
> and cleared the wiki page.  I still found no way to clear the contest
> entry on the "Important News" in the home page.  I guess someone will
> get to that.

Cool, thank IVO for launching contests and look forward to doing more in
the future, and lets sort out the tech side first...

Cheers

Jon

> Alright, be seeing you.
>
> -Ivo
>
> [1] http://openclipart.org/media/tags/som_banner
> [2] http://openclipart.org/SOMbanners/view/contest/entries
> [3] http://openclipart.org/people/Tomosaur/Tomosaur_Spreading_Open_Media.svg
> [4] http://openclipart.org/people/mcol/mcol_som_banner_02.svg

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

MSN, AIM, Yahoo Chat: kidproto
Jabber Chat: rejon at gristle.org
IRC: rejon at irc.freenode.net

Please note: the contents of this email are not intended to be
legal advice nor should they be relied upon as or represented to be
legal advice. Jon Phillips does not represent any organization through
this email address.