[Clipart] SOM Banners Contest Result

Greg Bulmash oneminuteinspirations at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 14:56:11 PDT 2007

On 9/20/07, Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> wrote:
> I think a combination of both...in the future just need to make sure
> everything is working prior to launch of a competition...

No, Jon, it's not both.

The winning banner showed 68 downloads when I just looked at the
contest page.  After all the contestants, judges, and the merely
curious looked at it, there were 68 downloads in all that time?

Even if there weren't a whole lot of designers who took an interest,
if there was a decent-sized community that was interested in viewing,
voting, and commenting, you'd think there would be more than 68
downloads.

If Ivo worked hard to sell it, he needs work on his selling skills.
If he didn't, well, then he needs work on setting realistic
expectations.  "If you build it, they will come" only works in the
movies.

Perhaps a "driving traffic to your contest" entry for the Wiki,
containing advice on promotion methods (both on and off OCAL) would be
a good thing.

- Greg