[Clipart] clipart Digest, Vol 42, Issue 18

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Sat Sep 22 15:41:15 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 12:26 +0200, Frederik Elwert wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 19.09.2007, 11:56 +0300 schrieb Nicu Buculei:
> > Frederik Elwert wrote:
> > > In principal, SVG (as it's scalable) should be the better option for
> > > thumbnails. But practically this brings some problems: Not all browsers
> > > support the required SVG features (SVG filters in Firefox 2.x), and the
> >
> > Here is the biggest problem: for complex images the PNG thumbnail is
> > often smaller in size than the SVG source, so for the best browsing
> > experience (quick page load) PNG is the best options.
>
> But this applies only to PNGs in thumbnail size. Actually, we have quite
> often the situation that a full-sized PNG export is uploaded, which
> might even be larger than the SVG. (Take
> http://openclipart.org/media/files/shokunin/4492 as an example: SVG 8KB,
> PNG 50KB.)
>
> So when PNG is used as thumbnail, it should have a height of 128px, so
> the filesize actually is small and no client-side resizing is required.
>
> > > inkscape generated files lack some web-specific features (esp. viewBox
> > > and no fixed width/height).
> >
> > I believe this is mostly caused  by the image authors.
>
> I don't. As far as I know, Inkscape automatically adds fixed dimensions
> to new documents, and doesn't add a viewBox. This makes the images not
> fit to the limited space of a thumbnail, but keep its original size. I
> don't know a way to "web-optimize" an image through the GUI, so authors
> would have to add the XML tree by adding a viewBox and removing the
> fixed dimensions. I don't think this is the authors task.
>
> Cheers,
> Frederik
Really, I think inkscape makes the canvas size the viewport size, and if
not, there should be an option for this...can you check upstream and/or
file bug/RFE for this with Inkscape if not supported?

thx

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

MSN, AIM, Yahoo Chat: kidproto
Jabber Chat: rejon at gristle.org
IRC: rejon at irc.freenode.net

Please note: the contents of this email are not intended to be
legal advice nor should they be relied upon as or represented to be
legal advice. Jon Phillips does not represent any organization through
this email address.