[Clipart] clipart Digest, Vol 42, Issue 16

Jon Phillips jon at rejon.org
Sat Sep 22 16:03:30 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 22:50 -0700, John Olsen wrote:

> > Message: 4
> > Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 16:01:58 +0200
> > From: Frederik Elwert <frederik.elwert at web.de>
> >
> > So I thought about setting up some style guides that could make up
> > a set
> > of quite coherent collections. The first step would be to define a set
> > of styles. Something as the Tango style guidelines would be nice, but
> > for a variety of clipart styles, e.g.,
> >       * Photo-realistic with gradients, blur, smooth colors
> >       * old-fashioned clipart style, with wide black borders and no
> >         gradients
> >       * Black-and-white traces (we have a lot of that)
> >       * etc.
> >
> > Then tags for these styles could be added to clipart following the
> > guidelines. It would be no necessity to stick to these styles, anyone
> > could upload his/her individual clipart as before. But if somebody
> > wants
> > to contribute to a style collection, he/she could stick to the
> > guidelines. For beginners it might even be easier to have a
> > guideline to
> > stick to then to start all by themselves.
> >
> > If the packaging/download/etc stuff will be back in the future, one
> > could easily package clipart for the styles and then provide coherent
> > collections.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Frederik
> >>

> Seems very simple.  The current tag system will handle it
> immediately.  Just need to start tagging things with them.  All it
> takes is someone volunteering to do it and setting the example.   I
> would say that the the black and white traces are also several styles
> - technical drawing, etching or engraving, woodcut.  Just depends on
> how fine you want to get.  There is plenty of work to do.  I think a
> lot of the cllipart needs enhanced tags, it just takes time.  At this
> time I spend most of my energies here adding new files and fixing up
> ones that need cleanup.
>
> John Olsen/Johnny Automatic

We could create a page called themes or styles for the site, and then
just explain each style/collection/theme:

http://openclipart.org/media/tags/SOME_STYLE_HERE

What do you think?

San Francisco, CA
USA PH 510.499.0894
jon at rejon.org
http://www.rejon.org

MSN, AIM, Yahoo Chat: kidproto
Jabber Chat: rejon at gristle.org
IRC: rejon at irc.freenode.net

Please note: the contents of this email are not intended to be
legal advice nor should they be relied upon as or represented to be
legal advice. Jon Phillips does not represent any organization through
this email address.