[Clipart] clipart Digest, Vol 42, Issue 27

John Olsen johnny_automatic at mac.com
Mon Sep 24 06:28:58 PDT 2007

Nicu Buculei wrote:

> This depends on what is the target: old contributors, new
> contributors,
> old users, new casual users, packagers...
> I am an old contributor and as an image creator I am frustrated mostly
> by two things: 1. I have tons of images buried in the old system and
> unreachable by users and 2. I have some images in the upload queue
> which
> I can't batch upload.
> As a moderator, I'm kept back from moderating by the lack of
> auto-generated thumbnails, is a big waste of time to do moderation
> without easy previews.
> I will not comment now for the priorities from an end-user point of
> view, as I am not really an user of the library.

Well these are some of my biggest frustrations too.  Lack of batch
upload doesn't bother me so much. but the lack of a gallery view
which I think is directly related to the thumbnails does.  I'm ready
to get started plowing through the 7,000 old files and helping there
if they need tagging, checking for dupes, etc.  but think thumbnails
would cut the workload down on that.

I'm no programmer but wonder how much time this sight really needs to
be functional?  I see plenty of site's like morguefile and Greg's
fundraw that are one or two-man shows and they are doing most of what
we are looking to do here.  Seems once some of these basic needs were
fixed up that the site would be pretty self-sufficient as long as the
librarians kept up on checking new files.

OTOH, we have a number of features that these sites don't have like
RSS for each designer, and a whole share feature that just showed
up.  These seem like trivial additions when core stuff isn't being
worked on.  Maybe the problem, like a lot of volunteer stuff, is the
easy work gets done first not necessarily the important work.

John