[Clipart] [Open Clip Art Library] clker.com - part 3

worms invasion wormsxulla at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 01:16:43 PST 2008

--- Nicu Buculei <nicu_gfx at nicubunu.ro> wrote:

> worms invasion wrote:
> > --- Excerpt ---
> > Even though users are not required to provide
> > attribution, Open Clip Art Library strives to keep
> > track of the submitter information. There are
> several
> > reasons for this:
> >
> >    1. First, we want to ensure that there is a
> place
> > where the author's name is displayed, so they get
> > credit for their work and can be contacted in case
> of
> > questions.
> >    2. Second, we feel it is more legally clear if
> > there is traceability of the authorship back to
> the
> > artist, so any questions of legality can go to
> them.
> >    3. And third, we want to ensure a way that fans
> of
> > an artist's work can find other art they have
> > contributed.
> >
> > ---
> >
> > Obviously, clker fails on all of the above -
> having
>
> Yes, clker fails on all of the above *but*:
>
> 1. when accepting PD the authors waived this
> requirements. We display
> the names at OCAL because we are "good guys" and we
> cherish the
> community. But legally, we can't bind others to do
> so.

I agree. And I say "he is a bad guy" ;-)

> 2. is mostly to cover our asses. If another site is
> willing to deal with
> the legalese on their own, they are free doing so.
> For example we have
> some images tagged as "may be a PD Issue", if a 3-rd
> party i sclaiming
> those images as PD, this is their responsibility.

Yup.

> 3. This is again our "feature" with the potential to
> give some
> competitive advantage to our frontend (to bad it
> suck in many other ways).
>
> > the author name in the SVG source is not enough.
> For
>
> Is more than enough in fulfilling the PD
> requirements. If we used
> CC-BY-SA or GPL it would be another story, but we
> choosed PD.
>
> > As an occasional contributor to OCAL, I reckon
> that
> > there is no way to track back to the author of the
> > artwork.
>
> But you waived that by accepting PD.

Absolutely. (See PD licence)

> > Besides, GPL is only meaningful in some countries,
> > etc.
>
> This is backward, GPL is meaningful everywhere
> copyright in meaningful
> (I believe everywhere) but PD is not meaningful some
> countries.

Yeah, thanks for correcting that. I did meant PD is
not meaningful in some countries...

So, we agree that PD can, occasionnally, just give way
to the existence of "leechers".

Now, what about OCAL as a website itself? Is it also
Public Domain? How about screening what other online
Libraries are doing ? (just a question...)