[Clipart] Question about style guidelines

Nicu Buculei nicu_gfx at nicubunu.ro
Mon Jan 7 05:52:45 PST 2008

Joanna Pszenicyn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am collecting opinions on Style Guidelines:
>
> http://openclipart.org/wiki/Style_Guidelines

I take issue with a guideline saying such things like:
"thin black strokes for individual surfaces of appr. 1px;  think black
outline for the whole drawing of appr. 6px"

We work with vectors, so the width is relative to the image size. Using
such width, they will impose me a certain size for the final result,
something I don't want.

Take as an example this image for a large set I am preparing for
submission: http://nicubunu.ro/pictures/games/blacksmith.svg (in the end
it will be colored)
Is it "cartoon"? "outline"? "lineart"? neither?

> * Would you prefer otline versions of existing images  to be stored
> along wit the original, as Gerald_G does:
>
> http://openclipart.org/media/files/Gerald_G/5814
>
> or is it better to store them as separate submissins, tagged as "outline"?

Excellent question! I wonder about this myself.
The above mentioned set will comprise over 50 images, both with an
outline and colored version.
I was thinking to put them together and the reason was only not to be
seen as an abuser who want to increase his image count (and ranking).

my cool Fedora wallpapers: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/wallpapers/
my clipart collection: http://clipart.nicubunu.ro/