[Clipart] Question about style guidelines

Gerald Ganson Gerald.Ganson at rdc.ab.ca
Mon Jan 7 08:14:02 PST 2008

> * Would you prefer otline versions of existing images  to be stored
> along wit the original, as Gerald_G does:
>
> http://openclipart.org/media/files/Gerald_G/5814
>
> or is it better to store them as separate submissins, tagged as "outline"?

>> Excellent question! I wonder about this myself.
>> The above mentioned set will comprise over 50 images, both with an outline and colored version.
>> I was thinking to put them together and the reason was only not to be seen as an abuser who want to increase his image count (and ranking).

I do the outline versions this way, because I don't really feel it's a separate and new image. It's simply one that could be used in B&W without the user needing to go to the effort of removing colored fills or creating a few white objects if need be for a B&W version. When I store the outline version with the coloured version, it's because the two are simply "editions" of the same graphic. This makes sense to me.

I also have made some "libraries" of closely related images, and simply placed them all in one graphic, as versions.

See http://openclipart.org/media/files/Gerald_G/5867 for an example. I have placed a number of related images in this fashion as well. I feel it makes organizational sense to do so.

I feel this method is best to help a user locate these related libraries easier.

Gerald_G