[Clipart] questions

John Olsen johnny_automatic at mac.com
Wed Jan 30 06:44:29 PST 2008

Now that there is some activity on the list I'm going to ask a couple
of questions that I asked before but got no response on.

Does anyone know what happens if you hit the "BAN" link on a file
under the admin options?  The page it goes to says the file will be
put under review, but that's it.  What I observe is the file is
inaccessible to anyone including admins (as versus unpublish, which
hides the file to all but admins and the owner.).  It is apparently
still in the system unlike a deleted file. But there appears to be no
way to undo this or get to the file and make any changes.  The problem
is, I have observed a file I accidently hit "Ban" on act as the cause
of they type of error that most plagues the library.

That error is the one where a selected link or tag returns this error:
ERROR(8) "/var/www/openclipart.org/htdocs/ccextras/cc-
download.php"(50): Undefined index: menu_text [2008-01-30 14:15 pm]
[127.0.0.1][/media/tags/cleanup]
Down for upgrade, check back soon

Troubleshooting new installations

This one relates to the tag "cleanup", but it is happening with many
tags in the system.  Through experimenting I believe that the banned
file causes at least some of these.  Any tag search that encounters
one of these banned files will return the error if it occurs in the 20
file range of a page display.  So currently you need to do http://openclipart.org/media/tags/cleanup?offset=18
  to get access to the files tagged cleanup.  This suggests that the
file 17 down on that list is bad and blocks access to all of the ones
before it.  Same is true with the requests link/tab.  I suspect that
when the bad file moves to 21 files down the list then the first group
of 20 will display again.

So it seems to me, hitting the ban button link on a file just causes
trouble.  But I cannot find any info on the admin guide as to what it
should be doing.  And since it is right above the admin link that we
use the edit the system tags on a files, it is easy to hit by mistake.

So, does anyone know what the BAN tag SHOULD do? What it really is
doing? And how the error it is creating can be fixed?

I think the "Undefined_index:menu_text" error is the number one bug
right now, as anyone using the site could encounter it at any point
and be discouraged.  It is also a roadblock to the librarians doing
their work.  I can't say that the "BAN" link has caused the problem
for all of the occurrences of this bug, but I am pretty sure it causes
some of them.

John Olsen