[Clipart] clipart Digest, Vol 56, Issue 12

John Olsen johnny_automatic at mac.com
Thu Nov 20 06:18:21 PST 2008

On Nov 19, 2008, at 10:32 PM, Jon Phillips wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 12:11 -0800, John Olsen wrote:
>>>
>>> Message: 2
>>> Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 13:01:22 +0800
>>> From: Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org>
>>> Subject: Re: [Clipart] [Open Clip Art Library] Upload Flagged
>>> To: Thomas Hicks <hicks.kingtom at googlemail.com>
>>> Cc: clipart at lists.freedesktop.org
>>>
>>> Sorry, I actually just unpublished until the author can
>>> reply...What I
>>> would like is a feature so we could track all the unpublished
>>> flagged
>>> files...my guess is authors reply 20% of the time once flagged and
>>> emailed....agree?
>>>

>> Jon,
>>
>> That's probably a good estimate.  Most who are going to reply do so
>> rather quickly.  A few others only check in occasionally and might
>> see
>> the comments online.  The rest never reply.  I think part of the the
>> problem is you have to opt in to getting comment e-mails and it is
>> buried rather deep in the profile.
>
> Aha.
>
>> I would rather have people fix their own files and learn from the
>> experience, but after about a month I'll go back and try to fix the
>> ones I can.  Some of course have problems that cannot be fixed by a
>> third party.  If they have just uploaded something inappropriate
>> then
>> I usually just delete it.
>
> Aha, so, if we unpublish something, maybe good to also add the
> "unchecked" tag...or is there a better tag for files that are
> problematic...like, violation or flagged. What do you think?

Yeah, I find the unpublished stuff a little problematic because you
have to publish them again to  read the comments to see what is wrong
with them.  Making them "unchecked" again just seems to be a red
herring for the librarians suggesting it is a new file that needs
review.  But clearly there are some long-term problem files - ones
that the author can only fix and have gone unattended for many months.

John