[Clipart] Many clipart under one file entry, or separate files for separate entries?

chovynz chovynz at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 13:03:25 PDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 10:44 PM, Thomas Hicks
<hicks.kingtom at googlemail.com>wrote:

> It's really not that decided. The rule of thumb that I use is whether
> when you search for one of a set, would you expect to see another
> object in that set. eg search for pineapple, get orange (not likely)
> or search for, sun, get sun and cloud (likely?).

True. I get that. The orange and pineapple are part of a set though. That's
specific set so it was probably a bad example to ask about. It would suit
being separate OR together. The sun and clouds make sense though.

This brings up linking to other files. Taking the Pineapple and Orange
again, It would be good to be able to go "Oh and here's the others in this
set" or "Here's a pineapple done by someone else", so that you get the
maximum amount of clipart related as possible. Someone suggested using
remixes, but having a clipart done by someone else, in an unrelated way or
style, with no possible connection to another file (except for the fact they
are both named "Pineapple") labeled as a remix doesnt make logical sense to
me. Nor do I know how to use the remix yet.

I know you can search for specifics with tags, but I find OCAL quite linear
to work with (in a bad way)...You go down one path and you have to backtrack
lots, or start completely fresh in a different search. I'd love to see OCAL
become more lateral in it's approach. I'd like to be able to see other
clipart from one clipart's page, for example: Chovynz's Orange, and over in
the sidebar we can see other orange cliparts thumbnails, to see if any other
better suit's the purpose.

>  That said, if in doubt I normally upload them separately. (although i
> tend to have 3 or 4 styles per clipart, especially when it is traced:
> outline, colour, black and white, ect. which I tend to upload as one
> entry)
>
> tomh

Does each uploaded file count as new clipart? Or does each entry count as
one clipart (with possibly 10 files underneath that entry (like the weather
icons <http://openclipart.org/media/files/sivvus/9497>)

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 1:10 AM, Francis Bond <fcbond at gmail.com> wrote:
G'day,

2009/4/4 chovynz <chovynz at gmail.com>:
> What's the preferred / best way of uploading?

I'm not a very sophisticated graphics user, so I prefer them to be
split up into separate images.

--
Francis Bond <http://www2.nict.go.jp/x/x161/en/member/bond/>
NICT Language Infrastructure Group

Thanks for your honesty. :) Can you explain further? How do you use the
library?

> 2009/4/4 chovynz <chovynz at gmail.com>:
> > What's the preferred / best way of uploading?
> >
> > Do we upload many related cliparts under one entry like this:
> > http://openclipart.org/media/files/sivvus/9497
> >
> > Or do we put them up separately like this:
> > http://openclipart.org/media/files/chovynz/11676
> > http://openclipart.org/media/files/chovynz/11672
> > http://openclipart.org/media/files/chovynz/11671
> > http://openclipart.org/media/files/chovynz/11663