[Clipart] clipart Digest, Vol 61, Issue 12

John Olsen johnny_automatic at mac.com
Tue Apr 7 06:09:10 PDT 2009

On Apr 6, 2009, at 11:01 PM, clipart-request at lists.freedesktop.org
wrote:
> -
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 08:10:35 +1200
> From: chovynz <chovynz at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Clipart] Tracing line art?
> To: "clipart at lists.freedesktop.org" <clipart at lists.freedesktop.org>
>
> Hi!
>
> What do you guys use to trace line_art? You're uploading some pretty
> complicated and indepth line art and I'm wondering how you do it (so
> quick).
> My automatic traces don't appear half as good as what you have.
>
> To get the quality that you guys have been uploading I have to
> manually
> tweak it and do lots of fiddly spline work in Inkscape/vector
> program. Is
> there a trick I'm missing from my toolbox?
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chovynz

My dark secret chovynz - Adobe Illustrator.  I'm just too old a dog to
relearn and unlearn all the differences between Illustrator and
Inkscape.  But I know others are getting the same effects in
Inkscape.  It's all in tweaking the settings right.  Line art is best
done as a one color trace.   The number one key factor for me is the
starting resolution of the bitmap.  More data gives better results.  I
also pre-process the the images in Photoshop so they are high contrast
black and white.

John