[Clipart] [Open Clip Art Library] license problem

Roan Horning roan at horning.us
Wed Jan 14 06:16:17 PST 2009

Hi Jarod,

The simple answer is no, you can not put works into the public domain
and also put a license on those same works.

However, it seems that the artist did not fully understand the
implications of submitting his work to openclipart.org. I would ask you
not to use his work until this issue is resolved. The first thing that
needs done is to compile a list of his artwork and mark it as a
potential copyright issue. We then need to contact the author of the
works and either obtain his consent that the works submitted are in the
public domain, or let him know that we will have to delete his work from
the site if the works can not be part of the public domain.

Sincerely,

Roan