[Clipart] clipart Digest, Vol 64, Issue 19

John Olsen johnny_automatic at mac.com
Sat Jul 25 12:40:00 PDT 2009

> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Re: Licence (chovynz)

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 13:12:40 +1200
> From: chovynz <chovynz at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Clipart] Licence
> To: Joanna Pszenicyn <papapishu at gmail.com>
> Cc: clipart at lists.freedesktop.org
>
> "Technically" I would say no, as they are already remixes.
> however, "in good faith", I suggest we do get rid of those as well.
> I've nicely asked Gerald to remove the vectorization of the originals,
> My feeling is the remixes should probably be removed as well, however,
> I've left them alone until I get a better feeling for
> what the other admins/members think about it.

Remixes are technically derivatives of the previous work.  Much debate
exists about how much one needs to change something so it then becomes
your work.  In most of these cases the mouse is being placed with
other stuff unchanged.  It would be like putting Mickey Mouse in a car
and saying the image is your because you added the car.  One one need
to significantly redesign the mouse such that you probably didn't
recognize it from the original.

So I think the remixes in question are violations too.

John