[Clipart] Karen's Whimsey

chovynz chovynz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 13:48:21 PDT 2009

Yes this has come up before on the list, but not to the extent that
I'm opening it up (or not that I'm aware of). The reasons I brought it
up again was, 1) I was considering grabbing some clipart from there to
put on our website, 2) I'm unaware of OCAL's policy in regards to this
type of "conbobulation", and as a member of OCAL, I want to avoid
bringing their reputation into question, 3)It's getting into heavy
copyright legalise. So, If I need to avoid Karen's Whimsey, in order
to provide actual, free, no strings
attached-without-any-possibilty-of-"legal-eyes"-against-OCAL,
-or-upset-ness with-a "colleague-PD-website", I will.

Or if OCAL is fine with "taking" clipart from a colleague PD website,
without regards to her feelings/supposed legality about it then I'm
also ok with that.

The difficult thing here that we will need to do our own work anyway.
If we say "Yes you can use KW's Clipart", from having had a look at
KW, we'll need to download her supplied scans, convert them to svg
(which in some cases will mean hand drawn), convert a second time to
png, upload both to OCAL. In that sense we wont be mining at all and
would be subitting our own work, NOT the work that Karen has already
done. So to my mind, before we can "take" anything from her site, this
is why it needs clearing up.

What is OCAL's policy with taking KW's clipart (which she scanned from
PD images), as a base, to make our own svg (which would also be PD)?

Cheers
Chovynz