[Clipart] What we do now - Does it affect 0.19? + Mass uploads

chovynz chovynz at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 22:28:58 PDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Jon Phillips <jon at rejon.org> wrote:

> We should really just focus our attention on getting ccHost to work
> well with what we want.

What do we want?  I want Multiple uploads. Does that count as we? ;-) (I'm
also aware that Multiple files are a 2.0 milestone, however I feel it would
be good now too.)

Joking aside, Roadmap <http://openclipart.org/wiki/Roadmap> tells me that
part of 0.19 goals are getting the archive of the old site into the current
OCAL one. To that end I poked around and found the files to be
uploaded<http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/wa/default?user=johnny_automatic&templatefn=FileSharing27.html&xmlfn=TKDocument.27.xml&sitefn=RootSite.xml&aff=consumer&cty=US&lang=en>.
however as someone pointed out, there is lots, and most authors arent doing
it themselves.

I'd like some advice on this. Should I jump in, upload with attribution, and
cross them off <http://openclipart.org/wiki/Authorlist> myself? Or do we
wait until the author decides to do it himself? Do we do them one by one? Or
do we find and make a multiple file upload script? What should I do to help
the current situation?

I'm not really a programmer so I can't physically make the multiple script
myself. I've also just had a new baby arrive (my fourth!), so I dont want to
volunteer for OCAL beyond my means.  I've had a little experience with PHP
and HTML (and CSS) coding so I am aware of what is capable, also potential
problems arising. I'm just suggesting things that *might* be of benefit to
implement and possible to extend OCAL growth. I don't know where ccHost is
up to. Nor do I know of previous goals. The Wiki Roadmap says that ccHost is
implemented already, and http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Cchost doesnt tell
me many of the required milestones...

I see the lack of Multiple file uploads as a problem. My previous script
suggestions are to help the current php programmers with ideas. From what
I've read (both in what we have, and in what's required for multiple file
uploads) we already have the groundwork. We have one file upload capability
already, now we need multiple fields for defining where they go when mass
uploaded. We also need a temporary storage area, while the scripts are
running. etc more things needed that I cant be bothered going into at this
stage etc.

If I'm putting too much pressure on you (us, OCAL developers), just tell me
to back off. I dont mind. :-) I'm excited, maniac energy, without a vector.
If I'm too much, just dial my inertial dampeners down.

I think this monthly release of a new package, starting with the
> current 0.19 ready to go is good, and having a monthly goal is
> crucial.
>
> Then, keeping on track with releases, attracting new developers, and
> making sure I"m not a bottleneck -- which is a problem.
>
> I'm making Jochen another admin since he has a grasp of the tech
> things, and I'm hopeful that there is one more person who will step up
> and help out on the tech side. Anyone interested?

Awesome! It'll be great to have more people. Gratz Jochen!

As I said earlier, We've just had a new baby. On top of that, I've been
chronically sick for the last two weeks (trench mouth, some viral thing,
V&D's, as well as a loose flap of gum with infections overtop of my back
molar).

I will not volunteer for more than I can handle, and I'm certainly not going
for programmer or admin roles. However, what I can do is research, make
clipart, and suggest solutions. But I need more up-to-date info to be useful
in terms of PHP. What is OCAL's goals with ccHost? What is it currently at?
Where can I find more info? Current places I've looked:

http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Cchost
http://openclipart.org/wiki/CcHost
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cctools/
http://openclipart.org/wiki/Website_Development
http://openclipart.org/wiki/SVN
http://openclipart.org/wiki/Developer_Management

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?amp;product=openclipart.org(Security
certificate error happens for me - I''m unable to get onto the
site.)

>Oh, what should the goal be for 0.19? How about 12,000 total uploads
>and then focus on spring clip art. Good?

It does sound good. 2,000 new uploads is alot though.
*whispers - multiple file upload scripts would help with that goal* <grin>.
Sorry. Didnt want to resist that one.

--
Cheers
Chovynz